A blog about vintage fashion, vintage jewels and art.....

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Secretary Dress

Perhaps you've got one..... a secretary dress. Very popular in the 70s especially, these button-up, shirt-waist dresses or shirt dresses with buttons all the way down. All with with dainty flowers or patterns or just plain plain. Smart and stylish yet still very feminine, they are all the rage once again.


I wonder how this word came about - the secretary dress? Does anybody know?

The model in these pictures is showing off two authentic 1970s dresses. The top dress you can see better here. The black/white bangle is also vintage. The brown dress is another beauty with very pretty ball buttons on the cuffs and worn with authentic vintage real leather heels.

3 comments:

Sharon S said...

Hi there!! Lovely dresses, my favourite is the second one! Have a good week ahead!

Witchcrafted Life said...

You know, I'm not honestly sure of the exact history, but I know that many movies of the day featured women portrayed as working in office jobs wearing dresses like this.

Perhaps it had to do with the fact these lovely dresses could be put on in a flash, thus being as efficient to wear as a secretary is supposed to be at her job (just a shot in the dark!).

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments and visits this week, sweet dear, I really hope you had a marvellous weekend!


Best wishes for a superb week ahead!
♥ Jessica

Anonymous said...

I truly love your blog.. Great colors & theme. Did you
develop this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm wanting to create my very own blog and want to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Appreciate it!

My web page - titanium engagement ring